June 26, 2009

Maria Pages interview

A concise, informative interview with Maria Pages on her art and her dance.

On the evolution of Flamenco:

"Both styles have to live together. Tradition is very important because it
is the root of everything we have now but at the same time art needs to evolve
because it's an expression of our time."

On her personal process:

"When I have an idea I have a complete picture, like a film in my head. In a
flash I can see everything. I can see where the dancers are, how the lighting
works, everything. Sometimes it's so fast I don't have time to take it all in -
I've lost many flashes like that!"
For those not in the know, Maria performed Sevilla to a full house at da:ns festival 2007. It's always so good to know that we've built up a rewarding, mutually encouraging friendship.

Sevilla, da:ns 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment